This ain't your grandma’s anti-nuke campaign.
South Asia Field Organizer, India
Do you want to play a key role in making nuclear weapons a thing of the past? Right now, we have an opportunity for the right person to join our cutting-edge movement in the fight against nuclear weapons.
Global Zero is an international, non-partisan movement for the elimination of nuclear weapons. Backed by over 300 eminent world leaders and over half a million members worldwide, our movement combines leading policy development and direct dialogue with governments with public outreach, including media, online and grassroots initiatives to make the elimination of nuclear weapons an urgent global imperative.
Global Zero is hiring a South Asia Field Organizer (based in India), who will be responsible for leading our campaign execution and volunteer mobilization efforts on university campuses and in local communities across the region, primarily throughout India. This will include: a national membership recruitment strategy; student and non-student mobilization at targeted universities and in key cities; developing and implementing Global Zero’s campaigns in the region; managing special events such as lectures, trainings, stunts, and lobby meetings. This role will also provide general support of Global Zero’s advocacy and campaigning work globally. This is contract position with the possibility of part-time (20 hrs/week) or full-time (40 hrs/week).The South Asia Field Organizer will report to the Deputy Campaign Director. Frequent domestic and occasional international travel will be required.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Recruit and train new Global Zero volunteer leaders as campaign organizers and advocates at key universities and target communities across the country;
- Ensure that Global Zero’s campaigns are effectively executed on university campuses and in target cities across the country;
- Manage the work of volunteer leaders in the region, including conveying priorities, drafting communications and the tracking and reporting of metrics;
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase Global Zero’s membership in the region and ensure sustainability;
- Play a critical role in the delivery of trainings that will excite, inspire and inform local volunteers, with a goal of developing more savvy volunteer advocates;
- Be prepared to rally people on and off campus to execute rapid response offline tactics at a moment’s notice;
- Manage local lobbying strategy and direct advocacy targeting key decision-makers;
- Build relationships with high profile leaders on campuses and in communities in an effort to strengthen Global Zero’s political networks;
- Manage educational efforts targeting volunteers including monthly conference calls, newsletters, email blasts, and trainings; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and at least 1 year experience mobilizing and organizing activists, preferably both on and off campus;
- Self-starter and a strategic thinker with a creative edge who is socially conscious, organized, detail-oriented and able to manage complex projects;
- Skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills who will work collaboratively and effectively as a member of an international team;
- Acute political skills and knowledge of how to work on campus and universities;
- Strong organizational skills; able to multitask and prioritize a number of projects;
- Superior writing and oral communication skills;
- Ability to produce reliably under pressure and with tight deadlines;
- Ability to travel (up to 50% of time);
- Genuine passion and interest for Global Zero’s issues and priorities; and
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job. This includes occasional early meetings, late nights, frequent travel, bending for & carrying boxes of campaign chum up to 30 pounds, and other duties as assigned.
- Competitive salary;
- Critical role in a rapidly growing, cutting-edge, international movement with opportunities for advancement;
- Full-time or part-time position based in India; and
- Flexible and occasionally intense hours including some evenings and weekends, to accommodate a team across multiple time zones and a rigorous campaign.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter, resume and writing sample (preferably something campaign related) to email@example.com, with “South Asia Field Organizer” in the subject line. Please note in your email where you saw this posting. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and position is open until filled.